Friday 20 July 2012

the basement

What I'm beginning to realize is that most things aren't about what they seem to be at first glance. I'd say the majority of the time the smaller issues represent bigger heart issues. Case in point: the basement. Right now it's dingy, old carpet, popcorn ceiling, cracked paint. But we have a great vision. A huge sectional, a couple tvs, new paint, a kid play space, new carpet...a sweet place to hang out with our friends and watch chiefs games. And more than it being a vision of material things, it's a vision of good community with friends we love in kc. And that part of it is good...so good.. In fact the reason we've been longing to come back to kc good. But then there's the other part of it. The part of me that is the always wanting something more part. I'm realizing that we'll always have "the basement". We'll finish the basement eventually..and then it will be a deck or some other escapade. And I'm realizing that that's just life. I think vision and dreams of what could be are a great thing and often a good motivating force. I think God has created us to dream and dream big. So I welcome them, I do dream about a cozy basement with our friends, sharing food and watching sports. But I also want to embrace now and be overwhelming thankful for what we have. I choose to see the good now. I choose to see the dreams already fulfilled rather than being consumed only by the ones to come. So for this chiefs season we'll be in our living room, still with our friends, still with good community and incredibly thankful for the dream we are already living.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely said my dear! We'd love to see pics of your new house, and you're basement...when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete